Business License

The City of Exeter issues Business Licenses to those individuals and companies that do business within the city limits of the City of Exeter.

A Business License is required for businesses that are physically located within the city limits, or that are located elsewhere but conduct business within the city, per ordinance 5.04.060

5.04.060  –  There are imposed upon the businesses, trades, professions, callings and occupations specified in this chapter license taxes in the amounts prescribed in this chapter, and it is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the city without first having procured a license from the city so to do or without complying with any and all applicable provisions of this chapter.

To obtain a Business License, contact City Hall at 559.592.3710

The gross receipts of the business, which are annually requested by the City near the end of the calendar year, determines the amount of the business license.

Fee Schedule for 2012/2013
For Gross Annual receipts of:

$30,000 and below – submit $60.00
$30,001 and above – submit $80.00

Each year a Business License must be renewed.  The Business License is valid for the full calendar year, and should be renewed January 1 of the new year.   Every annual license which is not paid within a period of thirty days from the time it becomes due and payable is declared to be delinquent, and the city clerk shall thereupon add to the license and collect a penalty of ten percent of the license so delinquent; if such license is not paid within sixty days from the time such license becomes due and payable, an additional sum of ten percent of the license shall be added to the license and collected as a penalty per city ordinance 5.04.200

How often is a license required to be renewed?
All business licenses shall be renewed yearly. Business Licenses are good from January 1st of current year until December 31st of the same current year.

I want to open a business using my home as my business location.  What do I need to obtain permission to do so?
The City of Exeter allows many types of businesses to operate from a residence, as long as they comply with the restrictions placed on such businesses in the city ordinance for Home Occupations.  An application for a Home Occupation permit must be completed and submitted with your business license application, and there is a one-time fee of $25.00 for the permit.

What do I need to do to make changes to existing licenses?
Whenever a business changes locations, ownership, business name, or type of ownership, you must resubmit a business license application reflecting the change.  Licenses are only valid for the person(s), partnership or corporation, location, or business name for which it is applied for and issued.  A change in ownership, including dropping or adding a partner, will be treated as a new business, which will likely require the payment of fees.

When do I need a business license?
Any time you are charging fees or accepting payment for goods or services, or conducting any type of business within the city limits of Exeter, you are required to obtain a business license per city ordinance 5.04.060

Business License Application pdf icon   (PDF: 249 KB)


Maintenance and Codes

Private Property Maintenance and Code Enforcement

Definition of Nuisances

1.  Any condition or use of property which is in fact a fire hazard or which results or can result in the impairment of the ability to respond to and suppress fires.

2.  The existence of any accumulation of waste paper, hay, grass, straw, weeds, litter, debris or combustible trash upon any roof or in any building, entrance way, court, yard, vacant lot or open space, or of any weeds, grass, vines or other growth when the same endangers property or is liable to become a fire hazard.

3.  Lawns with grasses in excess of 6 inches high.

4.  Storage for an unreasonable period of time (14 days or longer) of any of the following:

a)  Abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative automobiles, trailers, campers, boats, or similar vehicles.

b)  Debris, rubbish and trash visible from public rights of way.

c)  Broken or discarded household furnishings, appliances, boxes and cartons, lawn maintenance equipment, play equipment, toys, and similar materials.

d)  Discarded building materials.

e)  Discarded, wrecked, or inoperable household appliances, machines, and tools.

f)  Materials or items of nature stored on roof tops when visible from the public right of way or from neighboring property.

5.  Attractive Nuisances (those objects which, by their nature, may attract children or other curious individuals) including, but not limited to unprotected and/or hazardous pools, ponds, ice boxes, refrigerators, or excavations.